The SAFE Shelter Center for Domestic Violence Services works to prevent domestic violence, protect victims and promote change in the lives of families and our community. Since 1979, SAFE Shelter has been Savannah’s only organization dedicated to victims of intimate partner violence and their underage children. Safe Shelter provides safe, confidential services to all victims of domestic violence, including a 24-hour crisis hotline, shelter residential services, follow-up & aftercare, outreach, child advocacy, legal advocacy, bilingual outreach and community education. For more information, please visit https://safeshelter.org/ .
The Executive Director of SAFE Shelter is responsible for the overall management and administration of the organization, to include personnel, fundraising, communication, fiscal management, board support, community education, development of collaborative partnerships, and program design, implementation and evaluation.
SAFE Shelter is searching for a new Executive Director. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated ability to lead and manage a nonprofit organization that seeks to address the impact of domestic violence by providing quality services to those affected and to create social change through education, training, and activism. The successful candidate will possess the following leadership competencies:
- Strategic thinker with expertise in organizational management. The Executive Director will be an experienced and effective manager of people. They will be able to build an effective staff team working together toward a common vision. The Executive Director will be a strategic thinker, able to engage SAFE Shelter staff and board in a strategic, thoughtful process of growth. They will be results oriented and an effective manager of change. The Executive Director will have the ability to engage, manage, motivate and unite staff around common goals and strategies, and to drive teamwork and results across functions and work groups.
- Demonstrated successful fundraising expertise. The Executive Director of SAFE Shelter must ensure that funding is secure through strengthened relationships, cultivation of new sources of revenue, fund solicitation to include grant and proposal writing, and donor stewardship. Grant management experience is also necessary. It is critical to the future of SAFE Shelter that sustainable funding is secured.
- Strong community engagement and collaboration skills. The next Executive Director must be a good listener, strategist, and collaborator. They will be able to engage with long standing stakeholders and also build relationships with a wider group to form strong connections that are mutually beneficial to SAFE Shelter and the community. The Executive Director will build strong external loyalty to the mission of the organization, leveraging good will and financial support.
- Leadership and vision. The Executive Director will inspire confidence and provide leadership and vision to ensure a promising future for SAFE Shelter. They will demonstrate honesty, sincerity and respect for individuals while modeling organizational values, inspiring trust in and from others. Through innovation, strategic leadership, energy and commitment, the Executive Director will take SAFE Shelter to the next level of excellence, inspiring and elevating support for the organization’s mission and vision.
The ideal candidate is a strong, experienced leader with a track record of success. Personal assets will include honesty, dependability, and excellent listening and relational skills. Specific assets being sought include the following:
Clear and persuasive communicator who engages people and conveys passion for the SAFE Shelter mission.
- Ability to quickly engender trust and build strong relationships.
- Innovative and confident fundraiser.
- Skilled human resource manager.
- Ability to create an environment that welcomes feedback, discussion, and new ideas.
- Strategic thinker who provides focus and long-term direction.
- Ability to analyze and tackle problems in a fair and collaborative manner, and to put in the systems, processes, and accountabilities necessary to support solutions.
In addition to the leadership competencies and personal qualities listed, specific qualifications include the following:
- Proven business acumen, with a track record of effective management.
- Master’s degree in one of the social sciences, business, public administration, law or related field with two (2) years’ experience in a leadership role is preferred or a Bachelor’s degree in one of the social sciences, business, public administration, law or related field, with five (5) years’ experience in successfully developing and managing human services/nonprofit programs, with at least two (2) years’ experience in a leadership role, or any combination of education and experience commensurate to the job.
- Knowledge and experience in the field of domestic violence and/or interpersonal violence and trauma is preferred but not required.
- Post offer, pre-employment screening requires successful completion of criminal background check, valid driver’s license, and vehicle insurance.
Starting salary range is $75,000 – $90,000.
SAFE Shelter is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to:
No phone calls please.View PDF