Upcoming SCCADVASA Conferences and Regional Trainings
SAVE THE DATE:
Widening Pathways: Improving Access for Survivors with Disabilities Conference, Thursday, September 23rd – Friday, September 24th, 2021
Understanding how to provide the reasonable accommodations that survivors with disabilities need to access services is critically important for those who provide advocacy and direct services. However, we need to move beyond disability rights to a more holistic approach that involves the inclusion of individuals with disabilities voices in assessment and service care.
This training will provide attendees with the knowledge of how to ensure services are accessible and address disability justice principles:
- Intersectionality: “We do not live single issue lives” –Audre Lorde.
- Leadership of Those Most Impacted: “We are led by those who most know these systems.”
- Recognizing Wholeness: Each person is full of history, life experience, and inherent worth.
- Centeredness in Community Support and Intervention:
- All children and adults should have ways to build skills needed for safety.
- Education must be free, inclusive, and accessible.
- It should be provided in multiple languages, including sign languages.
- People who are disabled should be both teachers and students.
- Commitment to Cross-Movement Organizing: Shifting how social justice movements understand disability and contextualize ableism, disability justice lends itself to politics of alliance.
- Sustainability: We pace ourselves, individually and collectively, to be sustained long term. Our embodied experiences guide us toward ongoing justice and liberation.
Keynote Speaker (confirmed): Stephanie Woodward, Co-Founder Disability EmpowHer Network
More details & registration information will be added as the conference date approaches.