SCCADVASA is offering a film screening of the documentary Victim/Suspect and panel discussion on April 12, 2024, from 9:30 am –12:30 pm in Columbia, SC. Watch the Victim/Suspect trailer to get a sneak peek of the documentary.
As seen on Netflix, this film explores cases in which survivors of sexual assault were not only not believed but were charged with false reporting. Detective Carl Hershman (ret.) and Professor Lisa Avalos, JD from the documentary will join leaders from South Carolina’s criminal justice system, including two prosecutors, a defense attorney, and several law enforcement officers for this discussion. Below you will find a full list of our panel.
The goal for this event is to bring together system responders from Sexual Assault Response Teams (SARTs) across the state and other community partners to explore enhancing our trauma informed response (TIR) within South Carolina’s criminal justice system. The event will occur during Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM). SCCADVASA will highlight this event to raise awareness and promote this TIR approach.
- Examine the widespread pattern, one-in which sexual assault victims reporting a crime become the center of their own criminal investigations, and are later arrested, or jailed themselves due to accusations of false reporting, rather than seeing their assailants held accountable as demonstrated in the film.
- Explore the pervasive, institutional biases and attitudes towards victim-blaming, causing many sexual assault survivors of all genders to choose silence over reporting.
- Learn more about trauma informed judicial investigative and judicial approaches to Criminal Sexual Conduct cases.
- Discover how law enforcement and prosecutors in South Carolina can enhance system responses to better serve survivors of criminal sexual conduct.
- Lisa Avalos, JD Hermann Moyse, Sr. Professorship Associate Professor of Law (featured in documentary film)
- Detective Carl Hershman, (Ret.) San Diego Police Department (featured in documentary film)
- Marie Sazehn, JD (Moderator) Staff Attorney, Legal Assistance to Victims Program SC Coalition Against Domestic Violence & Sexual Assault (SCCADVASA)
- Candice Lively, JD Deputy Solicitor at Sixth Judicial Circuit Solicitor’s Office Chester County
- Jenny Desch, JD Senior Solicitor at 16th Circuit Solicitors Office York County
- Corporal “KB” Bowman Law Enforcement & Safety University of South Carolina
- Veronica Swain Kunz Crime Victim Ombudsman (CVO), Crime Victim Services Division South Carolina Attorney General’s Office
- Lieutenant Kelly Freshman Crimes Against Persons Charleston Police Department
- Edgar Michael Pinilla, JD The Pinilla Law Firm
Continuing Education Hours:
Approved for 3 hours of CLE & SCCJA credit; VSP hours are pending. LMSW, LISW, LMFT, LPC hours will also be available via certification of attendance.
Registration Coming Soon!
General registration will open on February 26th.Event Link